Posted in Baby

Caring for your baby at Disneyland


When we were getting ready for our first trip to Disneyland with a baby. I didn’t know what amenities would be available. Fortunately, Disney makes it easy for families with babies in tow. If you’d like to feed in private or change a diaper, the Baby Care Center is the place for you. Whether breast-feeding or bottle-feeding, there is a quiet, private area to sit and feed your baby. If you need to heat up or mix a bottle, there’s a small kitchen for use. Each center has large changing tables with disposable liners. Diapers, wipes, and formula are available for purchase as well. Using cloth diapers? Not a problem. The Baby Care Center in Disneyland has a place for you to wash those dirty diapers. continued

Top 5 must-have baby gifts

One of the most overwhelming details about having a baby is buying all of those much needed survival items. When I was pregnant with our first baby, I think we had over two hundred items on our baby registry. We didn’t know what we needed, so we put one of every item we could think of in our shopping cart.

It’s been six years since we had our first baby, and just over two years since we had our second. Needless to say, there are very few baby items that still exist in our home. But there are a few that we still use regularly. Consider these items “must-haves” for every mom and baby, and items that would make perfect gifts or additions to your own registry.

Baby Items continued

A Little Bird Dress Giveaway

A few days ago, my friend Paula sent me an adorable dress for Addie. She’s been very busy over at A Little Bird Dress and Things. She makes adorable baby, toddler, and children clothing. Not to mention, head bands, hair clips, and can even monogram your items. I’m guessing she can make just about anything. Addie is adorable in her little dress and hair clip!

I begged asked Paula if she’d be willing to giveaway one of her cute creations. She was super happy to do it. I know you guys love giveaways, and I think you’ll love these dresses. continued

The trial run

On Saturday night, I wasn’t feeling very well. My back really hurt, a lot more than usual. After dinner, I went to bed, I think around 6:45 or so. I laid in bed, but couldn’t get comfortable. This little girl was all over the place. I had never felt her moving so much. Doug came to bed at 10:00 and went right to sleep. That’s about when I felt what I thought were contractions. These were very different then what I had experienced with Emma. She was text book. These contractions were actually in the center of my belly and went up into my chest. I laid there for two hours before I woke Doug up. I wanted to make sure I was really feeling something.

We called the doctor and they told us to come to the hospital. The hospital where we want to deliver (same as the one where Emma was born) is a 40 minute drive south, so we left immediately. Taking nothing with us, of course. We jokingly talked about our “trial run” and said it might be a good idea to be more prepared next time. When we got there, the nurses were ready for us. They immediately strapped on my monitors, administered an IV to get fluids going, and confirmed that I was having contractions. I was 1cm dilated, but the baby was fine. She was 100% head down, which was a huge change from last week when she was breach. This might explain the acrobatics going on earlier that evening.

The Labor and Delivery nurse explained the game plan from my doctor. We would up the Nifedipine I had been taking to 20mg every 4 hours and start Terbutaline. AKA, drug strait from HELL. I had all of the side effects associated with the Terbutaline. Including my heart rate soaring to 160bpm. They couldn’t tell my heart rate from the baby so it was a little challenging for a while. For someone with anxiety, let me tell you, this was no party. The extreme side effects lasted for about 2 hours. I was a wreck trying to hold it together when the hot and cold flashes started coming on. At about 3:00am, Doug was exhausted, so I told him to get some sleep since I had nurses there to help me get through it. There was nothing more he could do for me except watch me freak out.

Unfortunately, nothing was working. My contractions were constant, one right after the other. They decided to give me Betamethatsone for fetal lung development. It’s a two-part injection. So they gave me one then, and another 12 hours later. After seeing my reaction to the Terbutaline, they wanted to wait as long as possible to try anything else. Plus they were hoping the increase in Nifedipine would kick in. The pain from my contractions was never very bad, just uncomfortable with a lot of pressure. I was still at 1cm, so I was very stable. I love that there was never any talk of a c-section. Pre-term babies need as much time as possible. Plus a vaginal delivery helps healthy pre-term babies with lung development.

There was never any panic. We knew we were both safe. We just really didn’t want to have the baby yet. By 7:00am, they brought in the big ultrasound machine to get a better idea of the weight, position, and overall health of the baby. I’m amazed at how much things have changed in just under four years. They confirmed she was on top of my cervix, in position for delivery. They were also able to see she was simulating breathing on her own. This was awesome to know that her lungs were working as if she was outside already. They also gave us an estimated birth weight of 5.2 lbs (plus or minus 12 oz) that was a huge relief. Knowing that if she did indeed come, she would be fine.

This was when we decided to hold off on any more drugs. I was so grateful to skip the Magnesium Sulfate. I was still a jittery mess from earlier and that magnesium wasn’t going to help my cause. We continued the Nifedipine and my doctor was coming into see me at 3:00pm when they were going to give me the second phase of the steroid injection. After having stable contractions for over 20 hours, he felt pretty good about sending me home. Every time they had checked my cervix it was still stable as well. As long as I promised to stay in bed, and no more Sunday drives, I could go home. As nervous and we were to leave, we were really eager to see Emma.

Now, we wait… Both baby and I are very loopy. She is in a nice comfortable position and isn’t moving nearly as much as she used to. This is letting me get a little more sleep. I am still having the contractions, but nothing more than usual. I’m still on the progesterone injections, so that might be helping too. One thing about labor and delivery I’ve learned through this, nothing is predictable.

Unless my water breaks, my next appointment is on Thursday. As always, we love good thoughts and prayers sent our way. This has been such a long pregnancy with so many ups and downs. I’m in a much better mental place today. Bed rest doesn’t seem to be such a big deal anymore. I know that things can change anytime. I’m just going to roll with the punches.

Our next big plan, get a diaper bag and overnight bag together. Keep doing the Progesterone injections, taking the Nifedipine every four hours, and the best part… doctor’s orders for a half a glass of wine each night before I go to bed. This is why I love our doctor!

Not your typical OB appointment

Today I had my monthly OB follow-up appointment. My husband was actually able to come with me to this one, and we were hoping to get in a quick unscheduled ultrasound. He just wanted to take a peak at our little girl. We have an awesome OB who doesn’t mind doing ultrasounds whenever we like. What we weren’t expecting was a necessary ultrasound that would change the course of my pregnancy. continued

Rockin’ the baby

It’s that time of year when I get all nostalgic. This is the time when birthday party invites start coming in and I realize my baby isn’t a baby anymore. How did she grow up so quickly? She’s going to be three next month. *sigh*

Shell over at Things I Can’t Say has us all thinking about our babies, or lack their of. I thought I’d indulge in Rockin’ the Baby.

Here’s my sweet little Em just a few hours old. She looked exactly like my husband. Exactly. I just assumed because she was a girl, she’d look a little more like me.

Bowman family photo shoot

In June we had our first family photoshoot, dog included. The photographer captured some amazing pictures. As most of you know, it’s been a crazy few months for us. We sold our house, Emma turned ONE, and we moved back to San Francisco. Our lives have been in complete disarray. I wanted to get a few photos up from our session. Hopefully we will have a slideshow all of them soon. For now, here’s a quick preview of the photos! Thank you to Veronica Duran for an amazing job!

About me

Cam Bowman @cambowman
Stay-at-home mother of two, wife, blogger, amateur photographer. Former flight attendant. Lover of all things Disney. Living the dream.
More about Cam
  • @cambowmanon Twitter
  • Cam on Pinterest
  • Cam on Instagram
  • Cam on Facebook
  • Cam on LinkedIn
  • Subscribe to this site's RSS
  • Contact this author

I wrote a book about Disneyland

101 Disneyland Tips is available in paperback, Kindle, and many other eBook editions.

Available from

Sign up for our email newsletter, and receive updates, news, travel tips, and more delivered straight to your Inbox.